Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Fattest City vs Thinnest City....the real truth

As a proud Austin, Texas transplant, I actually originated from El Paso, Texas--known for it's mountain ranges, Mexican culture, and being one of the top ten fattest cities in the country. I could sit and blame the city I grew up in for my weight problems, but, blaming El Paso for my weight issues is like blaming vodka for at least one of my pregnancies...there may be a little truth to it, but, the decision was ultimately made by me. There are three things in life: Fact, Fiction, and Statistics. When this glorious title was handed over to my good 'ol hometown, these surveyors took a few things into consideration before reaching their "scientific" decision: percentage of overweight citizens, rate of TV viewing among residents, number of fast food restaurants, air quality and amount of  fitness centers in the area. So, if you enjoy watching tv, while eating McDonalds in a poorly circulated room, and no gym close by, watch out, you and your city are next on the fatty list. 

In a country where we pass a 24 hour gym on our way to Krispy Kremes, I'm not surprised that the vast majority of Americans are overweight. We are encouraged to save money with Sunday ads, coupons, and deals...ever notice those deals aren't for lettuce, tomatoes, or gym memberships? I got a stack in the mail today for roast beef sandwiches, a local Custard stand, pizza, and tacos. That was just the fast food portion--the local grocery ads--processed foods (10 for $10!), frozen dinners (why learn to cook?), off brand mac and cheese (4 for $1). Of course, why shop the freezer aisle when I can get TWO avocados for $3, what a DEAL!!! The market doesn't push healthy, it pushes junk, and as hard working, tv watching, kid rearing, exhausted from breathing in bad air, Americans...it's so much easier to throw a frozen pizza in the oven or stop for some super sized meals on the way home. I say this, because, I've been that person, I was a single working mom of three boys at one time, I'm actually surprised my children lived past the age of 5 without clogged arteries.   

Of course, there are the organic food shopping, recyclable bag carrying (what do they use for small trash liners...couldn't live without my plastic Target bags), gym loving, and sometimes self righteous folks who will preach that the reason we're fat is because we're lazy, stupid, and eat lard from the bucket. Let me lay out my life for you...I have a college degree, I have four children who all have a penis, over 100 band students, spread over 3 schools, that I travel to on a daily basis. My oldest is active in after school clubs and organizations, my 8 year old is active in Boyscouts, my 6 and 18 month old are just active period. When I am not teaching I am cleaning, playing, running, dancing, driving, and not going insane with the daily grind of 4 little boys who have me going in every direction. Throw in a husband, who lessens some of  the household load, but because he has the same genitalia as the others, can be as needy, stressful, and obnoxious as the younger 4--should I mention the super needy cat and I believe partially retarded dog? I have been cooking fresh dinners for my family for the last few years, we rarely eat out, and I don't do frozen foods. I make healthy lunches when boys are on breaks from school, fresh breakfasts and try to bake something for dessert at least once a week (this is where I get myself in trouble, damn you betty crocker and nestle). The only time I have ever dealt with lard was this past Christmas while making my mother's recipe for biscochos (she's from El Paso, lard is in almost everything)--I only ate 5 cookies out of the whole batch.

Just because I'm fat, doesn't mean I'm stupid and lazy, nor does it mean I have a frequent shopper card at McD's. It does however mean my life is sometimes so hectic that I cant make fruity smoothies for breakfast-so I grab a breakfast bar and coffee instead--no time for a well balanced lunch, so the handful of cheese-its, Hershey kisses, and a diet soda will have to do...and that there are nights that a happy meal and a quarter pounder will make my penis posse happy, and give me a few minutes to sit down. With a family of six, I don't have the money for the gym, or pilates, or a babysitter to do 10k weekend marathons or training. TRUST ME, I'm jealous of those that have that option, and I hope some day to do the exact same thing (not the 10k, I'm not crazy). I have some amazing friends who love the all natural diets, love the gym, are bubbly, and thin, and I want to kick them in the shins from time to time, but, they have never made me feel like a heifer by their words or actions...and I thank them for letting me super size without judgment. I wont classify all health freaks as a-holes as long as they don't classify all fluffy people as stupid and lazy...

My downtime is right now, at 9pm, when the boys are in bed and I can stop working, cleaning, cooking, and entertaining. I'm now prioritizing my life and finding a sliver of time to take care of me...This morning's breakfast and snack included a fiber bar, coffee (I wont give that up), yogurt, and a banana....all spread out over 4 hours. I drank 32 oz of water, which also mean 32 trips to the bathroom. For lunch I came home in between schools to spend a little time with the husband and the 18 month old, and eat a nutritious bowl of Old Fashioned (not Quick) Oatmeal, while watching Judge Pirro. Afternoon snack included an apple with peanut butter, and for dinner, my grand finale--I made broiled shrimp, quinoa (google it) with a fresh avacado (3 f-ing dollars), cucumber, tomato, red onion, and cilantro salad. Yep, that's pretty flippin healthy--currently I'm so hungry I could eat an entire bag of Oreos, but, since I cleared those out over the weekend, I am S.O.L. 

My next goal is to find time to go walking around my neighborhood, get the blood pumping, and start the exercise portion of this weight loss deal. First, I need to get the junk food detox under control and stop seeing my children as dancing chicken McNuggets....figure once I can get through a whole day without thinking about french fries, I can start moving, literally. I know I can find the perfect medium, it will just take time...but, isn't that what this whole mission is about? Until next time....

Andria


4 comments:

  1. Try taking Sammy out in the stroller around your "hood!' I almost had a cardiac doing that and then add the sun beating down on both of us, made for a very frustrated grand mama and baby!! LOL Don't forget, El Paso is also the most illiterate, which I can believe, and sweatiest....guess 'cuz we're fat!! You're doing great, honey, and that coming from another member of the "Fluffy Club."

    Cleaned out my studio and rearranged it yesterday and all I got was horrible back pain. Asked Vern could it be due to the fact that I've been suffering from back problems since I was 18, remember the story of the boat accident, have osteoporosis, out of shape or all the above? Need I say what his answer was??? Obvious one. So next week it's off to a gym for women only, however, I was told some of the instructors are gay...no prob! Let's see how this almost 59 year old "TUBS" gets her "groove" on, or off!!

    Love ya,
    Your Mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am Fluffy member and follower #2 on your journey to a healthier lifestyle. You inspired me Andria to shop healthy and cut out my favorite high-fat cheeses and replace with reduced fat or low fat. I just can't go with fake rubber cheese. Get the cookbook "Simply Colorado - Nutritious Recipes for Busy People" written by the Colorado Dietetic Assn. 1-800-798-2635. Every recipe in there is easy to do, heart-healthy and yummy. I especially like Garbanzo Nuts, Skinny Oven Fries, and Cranberry Cottage Cake with Lemon Sauce.

    Love you,
    Auntie Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andria. I also am a follower now and hope you will stop by my blog sometime. I'm a bloggie friend of your Mom's Georgina who I think is so funny sometimes. In any event, I wish you luck in the weight loss program. One thing, if I may say....MODERATION...and a form of exercise are the key to being able to reach your goals. I've learned that I can't cut out the foods I love, so I eat them but in moderation. Sometimes I over do it but there is always tomorrow. Nice to meet you and I'll follow your trek on the weight lost regime. Take care and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me to your list of followers! Andria, I LOVE your writing and your honesty in just putting it out there! That's the trademark of a true writer! I won't add a comment about your weight loss journey, because I took a 'shortcut'. I had a sleeve gastrectomy. But yes, I have been there, done that. I know how hard it is. And I echo your sentiments about the high cost of the truly nutritious food in our country. Call me paranoid, but I think it's a conspiracy to make the corporate powers that deal in our food supply and diet pills filthy rich.

    BTW, I'm also a bloggie friend of your Mum.

    ReplyDelete