Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Reality bites....I try not to bite back

Day 2, the reality of the situation hit...the second half of my job interview with A.J.A. is tomorrow-I have to teach a second grade music class. I have been teaching middle school and high school for the last 3 years, I have not set foot into an elementary school music program, EVER. I have been pinned a band director, not a music teacher--some may see it as a blessing, while others see it as the kiss of death, in my case, little from column A, little from column B. I did pretty well during the oral part of the interview, principal was super cool, I knew my stuff, and then, she said those ill fated words: "I think you would be amazing with our middle school band kids, but, I worry about the transition over to the younger kids, would you be able to handle it?" I forced back a smile and squeaked out: "Of COURSE, I love little ones, I think it would be thrilling to teach elementary music as well!" She was so excited and then said that she would like me to teach a lesson to a group of 2nd grade kids...I accepted, then frantically called the wonderful elementary music teacher at one of my schools. Thankfully, she handed me music, songs, and activities to do for my lesson, now, I just have to figure out how to be cute, peppy, and excited about cats, squirrels, and singing. I'm terrified....I barely passed singing in college, I'm terrible, hence why I focused on playing musical instruments. I don't think a room full of 7 year old kids will be too judgmental, then again, I've underestimated children in the past. 

The next task, of course, is finding something appropriate to wear tomorrow. I want it to say "I'm a totally adorable music teacher and a hardcore band director." I wore my killer interview outfit the first go round, so, now I have to dig for something else. The problem, most of my amazing professional attire is from when I was about 20-30 pounds lighter...let me describe my walk in closet: close to 200 pairs of shoes (they have never done me wrong no matter how fat I get), 30-40 pairs of slacks and jeans, 15-20 dresses, 10-15 skirts, and more blouses, tanks, sweaters, and shirts than I can count. When I count how many of those things actually fit me without looking or feeling terribly uncomfortable--let's just say, Bart Simpson has a more extensive wardrobe. Tonight, as I began digging through the mass piles of clothes, the sad reality of how much my weight has gotten out of control hit-and it hit hard. I lost count of how many tops I tried on, all were awful, too short, too tight, not long enough, can't cover all the bulges, showed off too much of my lower stomach blubber. When it came to slacks, only 4 reached wide enough to button, and only 2 that didn't make me look like a whale eaten by an even bigger whale.

The last few months I've managed to get by wearing jeans to work...because I'm only on each campus for a short period of time, the principals haven't given me any slack for it. After I lost the baby and had a giant tumor growing in it's place, I wasn't able to do much and because of the swelling from both the 8 week pregnancy (before it ended) and the 10 pound tumor, my "fat girl" jeans were all that fit. After I had surgery to remove the tumor, I again had swelling, but now, had to be careful about what rubbed against the stitches and now, scars. I hate wearing jeans to work, makes me feel sloppy and unkempt--I want to break out the skirts, dresses, and cute slacks I had bought before I started the school year, when it had all fit and looked great, before I gained 20 pounds. I refuse to buy any new clothes while I'm going through this weight loss/gain battle. Buying bigger only means I may eventually grow into it, while buying smaller for motivation, only leaves me more depressed. So, I'm stuck with what I have and I need to make it work. I narrowed the choice down to one that I hope screams professional, loves kids, doesn't eat bags of Oreos in one sitting, loves to sing and dance about cats and squirrels, doesn't mind getting on the floor, playing the piano, putting valve oil in trumpets, banging a drum, figuring out how in the hell to actually play a trombone, and doing it all with a smile. 

I had to break down though, as we all do...I just cried. I cried over my inability to control my appetite, for my laziness and excuses for not working out and eating better. Cried over the fact I can't run and play with my boys when they're riding their bikes because I get winded, that my knees hurt from standing all day at work, that I'm scared to sit down on little plastic band chairs or school tables for fear of them breaking. Cried for the comments I've heard strangers, students, and loved ones say about my weight...and in the end, cried over a fabulous wardrobe I have invested thousands of dollars in, that I can't wear. I guess when I have a weak moment and want to grab a brownie, I'll remember that dark place in my walk in closet where a pile of clothes laid and I stood in tears. I'll remember that the reason I'm losing the weight is for my health, to stick around for my boys, to stick around for my future grandchildren, help spread the love of music to future generations (who think Metalica was a band from the 60s and have no clue who the Lone Ranger was), to piss off my ex husband, to wear my damn clothes hanging in my closet, and to prove to the world that you CAN lose weight without being sent off to a ranch for 12 weeks while millions of television viewers witness your pain.  

Now, off to practice my 2nd grade singing voice, drink more water, pee another 6 times before I go to bed, and spend a minute or two with my sweet husband before I pass out in a benedryl induced coma. 

Till tomorrow,
Andria


7 comments:

  1. You are going to do great with 2nd graders!! They are awesome!!! That is what I taught for 6 years. They are super sweet, but not babies. They still have respect for you and want to learn!! They even understand your sarcasm. lol You will be pleasantly surprised by them, I guarantee it.

    Good luck!! I know you will do great with the trial lesson and with the weight loss!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey sweetie, just noticed a couple of my bloggy friends are following you, Diane and Gloria. They're two terrific ladies, both artists of course. You know how I feel about this journey of yours and how proud you make me. You're not alone in this endeavor and many out here cheering you on...putting on my leetle cheerleader outfit!! MENTAL PICTURE!! ACK!!! Just know your fluffy mommy is right there with you.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andria, I am so proud of you. We have had many talks about our pain and struggles, I always knew you were a strong person, much stronger than me. I love you and will support you every step of the way....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa! I just read all your posts (I came here via your Mom) and you are a fabulous writer!
    You should be writing a column. I loved every word! I'm your newest Follower and not because I adore your mother (which I do) but because I can't wait for the next post!!!
    :) - Cindi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Andria! I hopped over here from your Mom's blog. You are a great writer, and I know you must be a fun and talented teacher. (Fingers crossed on the job!) This weight-fluffy-battle is unfortunately familiar to me! lol! I am trying to lose some weight, too. You hang in there, and take it one day at a time. You'll do it. :) Xox Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Sweetie, noticed a couple of other buds from my blog followers are now over here. Again, they're artists and just darlings. Pam is not only a doll creator but a children's book illustrator. Cindi is an animal lover and is a vet tech...she's adorable.

    Hope you're having a good day and talk to you later.

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, Georgina, not just artists follow your little one. I'm as non artistic as they come, LOL! Well, I do try, so you can call me a wannabe.

    Andria, I will be praying that you have great success on this journey you're embarking on. Trust in the Lord with all your troubles, and he'll see you through. Sometimes he leads us in unexpected paths- as was the case with me. Hope you someday have a little time and can read my blog where I made a post of my weight loss journey. And I'm still not done- it's always an ongoing thing you know. I still have a ways to go- but I know with God's help I'll make it. Take care and know you have your bloggie friends rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete